Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jonny's He-Man Competition


On Saturday, May 30th, the local climbing wall hosted a speed climbing competition. Jonny and his friend Bre entered with high hopes that they would score first place in their separate divisions. Jonny as the He-Man and Bre as the He-Woman.


Getting ready for the 5 different courses mapped out on the wall by the different colors of tape.

Here are the rules:

1. Wait to climb until the timer person is ready to press the stop watch button or else you'll have to start again. Starting over gets tiring.
2. You have to touch every hold that is outlined by the tape. You don't necessarily have to use the hold, but you have to at least touch it.
3. You can't use any holds that are not outlined by tape. Each foul adds a half second to your total time. For example, if you step on 3 holds that are not outlined then it adds 1.5 seconds to your time. That could cost you first place!!!
4. Ring the bell at the top of the course so that the timer knows when to stop the watch.
5. GO FAST!!!!!






Checking out the best route, this course didn't have any outlined holds so you can use any holds you want. However, this route has an over-hang part that is particularly difficult.


Jonny made it up this in 14 seconds... yeah. That's right.




Out of about 20 guys (only one hot one that wasn't married... I was looking) that competed Jonny got 5th place. Not bad for it being his first climbing competition.




Here he is holding his prize: a girly climbing calendar. Yeah, he got to pick that and some stickers. Bre got first place... $50 and some new climbing shoes.

Congratulations, Jonny!! I'm proud of you :)

4 comments:

Karin said...

Yay! Jonny! Thanks for posting about him...I would have never known what that boy would be up to! He doesn't like to share much...Love him!

PS...My word verification was
"buckas"
funny Huh?!?!?!

Karena said...

Wow, sure sounds difficult to me, but I am not climber!!

Amanda said...

So the girl he teamed with won? Way to go Jonny!

PS are you not private anymore? I didn't have to sign in when I stopped at your blog

Jon said...

Cool Mugs! thanks for posting this. Yeah the girl I was climbing with won the womens division. She's much better than me (she can do a lot more technical stuff). I ended up with a better overall average time than she did, but that's because it's speed climbing, and having the upper body strength helps you push through faster.